TURMERIC & ITS BENEFITS
Turmeric is a popular spice for cooking but it has along history of medicinal uses too.Turmeric is an Orangy-Yellow spice which comes from a root in ginger family.
It is one of the most researched natural remedies available and there are numerous studies validating its healing properties.Scientific name of this herb is “Curcuma Longa”. And due to its colour traditionally called “Indian Saffron”.
WHY SHOULD YOU MAKE TURMERIC AN EVERYDAY STAPLE IN YOUR KITCHEN ?
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory– Due to inflammation many chronic diseases are caused,and curcumin the active ingredient in turmeric reduces inflammation.This means that it can help protect against cancer,can relieve pain,reduce swelling ,heal wounds,enhance intestinal health and regulate metabolism.
- Turmeric is high in anti-oxidants– Which help protect your cells from free radical damage,and can slow down signs of ageing. Antioxidant agent in turmeric reduces Insulin resistance,which may prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Turmeric is anti-bacterial and anti -fungal– Turmeric has shown promise as an anti-fungal for Candida as well as other fungal infection.According to the recent studies turmeric is associated with inhibiting the candida infection more effectively than other anti-fungal drugs(Candida is caused by the yeast over growth in the gut).Another study found that turmeric may reduce Aspergillus fungus.This fungus causes serious respiratory tracts infection.
- Turmeric is very rich in Magnesium which supports your immune system,keeps your bones strong.
HOME REMEDIES FROM TURMERIC
- This simple and effective cough remedy is from the Ayurvedic tradition. Ingredient : 1 glass of milk ,1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Mix turmeric powder into milk and bring to boil.Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes until well blended.
- Roast the turmeric root and ground it into powder.Take about 1-2 gm of this roasted turmeric powder along wiyh honey thrice a day to obtain relief from Dry Persistent Cough.
- Add pure turmeric powder to boiling water and inhale the vapour.This relives cough as well as sinus congestion.
- To get relief in throat infection,boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric with 2 cups of water. And gargle with this water.
- In a glass of hot water add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of rock salt. Drink this hot mixture you will get relief from flatulence.
- Applying juice of ground raw turmeric is very good for fungal infection.
WHEN TO AVOID TURMERIC ?
- Pregnant woman should avoid taking excess amount of turmeric.Due to risk of Pre-mature Uterine,uterine bleeding and painful uterine spasm.
- While Chemotherapy reduce intake of turmeric as it reduces the effect of chemotherapy.